My college roommate, Kristin, and I are really great at coming up with really awesome ideas– and then totally failing to follow through with them. The fact that she and I once planned a trip to NYC and then actually went is really nothing short of a miracle.
So– when she and I planned in September to have a GLEE Season 2 marathon before the Season 3 Premiere, it was only natural to not have the party until late October– 4 episodes into Season 3.
We invited one of our other good friends from college, Lauren, and made a party of it! We hung out in my living room all day long watching our favorite episodes and musical numbers from Season 2, and eating a fabulously themed menu, of course!
I was pretty busy making a hundred things at once (okay… six things) so I didn’t really photograph too much of the process. I’m providing links to the websites where I found recipes and hopefully inspiring another Gleek or two to create their own special menu for a GLEE Party!
GLEE Party Menu!
1. Grilled Bacon and Cheesus Paninis. In Season Two, Kurt’s dad has a heart attack and Finn finds Jesus– on his grilled cheese sandwich. While our sandwiches didn’t have any divine cameos appear, they tasted pretty divine. Bacon just has that effect.
2. Crescent Wrapped Dr. Frank-N-Furters. My favorite episode from Season 2 is hands-down The Rocky Horror GLEE Show. The songs are fun, John Stamos and Jayma Mays are incredible and even though Matthew Morrison gets a little creepy as Mr Shu, it’s still the most fun episode of GLEE ever.
3. Roast Bieste Sliders. Season 2 also introduced some great new characters, like Trouty-Mouth Sam Evans, and Ken Tanaka’s replacement: Shannon Bieste.
4. Burt and Carole’s Mini Wedding Cake. Another great episode in Season 2 was Furt, in which Finn’s mom and Kurt’s dad get married. They have a very GLEE wedding, causing Gleeks everywhere to declare that when they get married, they are having their bridal party shimmy down the aisle to Bruno Mars’ Marry You.
5. Carmel High School Vocal Adrenaline Cupcakes. Vocal Adrenaline is the rival GLEE club to the New Directions. In Season 1, they were directed by Shelby Corcoran (the amazing Idina Mendzel), and late in Season 2, Rachel’s ex-boyfriend, former Vocal Adrenaline Member, (and real-life former co-star of Spring Awakening), makes a re-appearance. They also snag the talents of Sunshine Corazon (played by singer Charice) after Rachel sabotages her chances of joining the New Directions.
6. Mini Nationals in New York Cheesecakes. The whole season builds up to the grand finale, where the New Directions get to compete at Nationals in New York City. When Kurt and Rachel break into the Gershwin to sing the final number from Wicked, I damn near teared up.
Lauren also brought an amazing Chili Cheese dip and GLEE Cupcakes, which look like slushies–the weapon of choice for McKinley High School’s bullies.
If you’re interested in making any of these delicious treats for your own GLEE Party or any other event, here are the links to the recipes that I adapted for this menu:
-Paninis were nothing fancy, just American Cheese and Bacon on Italian Bread.
-Mini Wedding Cake was made from Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake, Betty Crocker Cheesecake Frosting, and Wilton’s Rolled Fondant in Pure White